PDA

View Full Version : HOw to remove JB weld?

Trae
10-20-2002, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know how to remove JB weld? I purchased the boat from jim langford and now I need to move it into the new hull.

THe turbo trans is JB welded to the boat hull. SOO how would I remove the engine and turbo trans?

cjs
10-20-2002, 04:37 PM
i'm not totally sure there is a better way, but the only way i have been able to unbond JB weld was to heat it for a while with a torch. i'm don't think it would be smart with any type of electric boat hull, but when it is used for holding metal together (mini bike and go kart repair) just heat it until it melts.
-chris

Doug Forrester
10-20-2002, 05:05 PM
There is no other practical way to remove epoxy from a plastic, wood or glass hull other than cutting it out with a Dremel and various suitable cutting bits. Oh, by the way, wear a mask.

HOLE SHOT
10-20-2002, 07:51 PM
You can use acetone to remove the J-B weld , but try to remove most of it with a Dremel tool then you can use acetone and Q-tips. You need to saturate the Q-TIP with the acetone and just start rubbing on the J-B Weld. You're going to go thru quite a few Q-TIPS so you might as well buy a large box of the cheap ones. BTW, after you get the J-B Weld fairly saturated you can take something like a small knike and start scrapping the J-B Weld off, then re-saturate the J-B with acetone again and scrape more off. I've done this on guns where someone had stripped out screws for adjustable sights and just J-B welded them back onto the gun. It sounds time consuming but I'ts really not that bad, the acetone actually softens the J-B Weld down to a certain point. When you get back down to the hard weld just re-saturate it again for a little while with the acetone and then scrape again. Make sure that you have good ventilation, and wear some GOOD rubber gloves and a mask while grinding. That acetone is really good for most adhesive removal but it will give you one hell of a headache and really dry your hands out BAD!! Hope this works for you, Daniel M. Hallman, A.K.A. THE LAB RAT...:cool: :cool: :cool:

Drobie
10-20-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by HOLE SHOT
You can use acetone to remove the J-B weld

But Acetone will melt ABS, so be real careful not to spill it on to the hull.

Take this as a lesson learned, Trae. I think there are many ways to install a motor mount without using something as strong as J-B Weld.

Household Goop will hold motor mounts and servos, but is easier to remove than JB Weld or epoxy.

I quickly learned to make my own mounts patterned after DPI's. Whether the mount is for a brushless, a 700 or an O5 motor, they all have the same footprint.

I put a platform of ply in the hull with blind nuts on the bottom. That way, I can swap any motor and mount in and out of each boat with just three bolts.