The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums (http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/index.php)
-   Building, Setup, How to Articles, and other boating questions. (http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Jet's Latest Hair-Brained Idea (http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/showthread.php?t=27012)

Dr. Jet 10-29-2008 10:22 AM

Jet's Latest Hair-Brained Idea

Well, the BBY MTH is nearing completion. As I see it taking shape, it is looking great and it should run like Prototype #1 without much futzing around with the setup. When the MTH is completed, I have the following in the building queue:

1. Finish the Micro Scat Cat (finish the hull bottom and add paint).
2. Finish the Systems Cat (lots of hull work and paint, then add a motor/ESC).
3. Build a rescue boat (I have the power system and drive, plus hull building material).
4. Finish the JetCat29 (still a lot to do on this).

The reason for this posting is to explore my next new hair-brained idea. I may put some of the above-mentioned projects on hold while I start something new.

Santee Sport Scale racing is working great. It’s fast, cheap, and out of control. I have a few boats that fit roughly into this category, but maybe there is something else that can be done. I have some preliminary plans worked out based on Simon’s Canard that I could build, but one of the SLOBS came up with something that I think is a bit better. SSSH “rules” say something about a 400 mm hull length. That works out to almost exactly 1/20 scale. I am quite impressed with Garry Finlay’s hull plans. I had origiginallt thought about reproducing them in AutoCAD at 1/20 scale, then having a laser-cut kit made using 1/64”, 1/32” and 1/16” ply where applicable and the rest in balsa. After a lot of thinking, I'll just reduce the plans and make a one-off. I would use the same direct-drive (cheap, readily available, and very effective) that I used in the MTH. Garry’s plans are readily available and can be scaled-down to 1/20 at your local Kinko’s or similar reprographics outlet.

Perhaps SSSH could put more emphasis on the “scale” part of this. Almost to the point that the ERCU guys do with their 1/10 scale boats. Granted, 1/20 scale would not have the level of detail that you would find in 1/10, but there could be plenty of opportunities to “spruce-up” a hull.

My first project in the SSSH series would be the Jones hull for a number of reasons. First and foremost is the room available inside the hull. Second, it will give me the opportunity to build yet another scale Short Circuit.

Who would like to come to Santee next summer to race in the First Annual Santee Sport Scale Hydro Competition? The rules will be to use the 3000 rpm/V Mystery motor/ESC combo, 1/20-scale hulls, straight shafts, plastic props, and 2S or 7 round cells. Static judging will be included in determining the winner. You boat MUST be a scale model of a full-sized boat. If you want to build the Winston Eagle (outrigger), be my guest. If you want to build a canard, be my guest, just make it SCALE!

Dr. Jet 10-30-2008 09:56 AM

No one wants to race in Sunny Southern California?

How about you, Rod? How about building a 1/20-scale and come race with the SLOBS. I imagine you would build something quite remarkable. I'll even see to it that Wayne (a.k.a. "Crash") has a spare bedroom for you to use if you make it out here.

And Eddie, you want to get away from Joisey for a couple of days?

What about the other half of Team J & J?

Come on guys, these are cheap to build, easy to transport, and a hoot to race.

Remember: The winner gets free lunch (and you thought there was no such thing).

hydronut 10-30-2008 11:06 AM

Funny you should bring up coming out to So.Cal. My and my wife have been thinking about a trip to SD. Lived there for quite a while and still have some friends there we would like to see. Current back and spinal issues make much travel and working diffacult, We'll have to see how things go health and money wise. But that would be a kick.

Dr. Jet 10-30-2008 02:19 PM

I just ran the numbers. In order to make the boats 15 inches or so, they have to be 1:24 scale. That opens a bunch of possibilities, as driver figures and scale engines are available at 1:24. I think I have a 1:24 Merlin somewhere in my collection. Hmmm.......

Randy Naylor 10-31-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Jet
I just ran the numbers. In order to make the boats 15 inches or so, they have to be 1:24 scale. That opens a bunch of possibilities, as driver figures and scale engines are available at 1:24. I think I have a 1:24 Merlin somewhere in my collection. Hmmm.......

I like the idea of a 1/25 scale, I would be in to building a Shovel on that platform I just happen to have a proto type started that is 15.25 inches long. we could brain storm on the canopy, covered motor and non covered motor with a cab over canopy option. I have some ideas that will make the bottom better than the the MTH.

Allso I have a small pond (Pixey play land) that people run at that this might work good at.

Dr. Jet 10-31-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Naylor
I like the idea of a 1/25 scale, I would be in to building a Shovel on that platform I just happen to have a proto type started that is 15.25 inches long. we could brain storm on the canopy, covered motor and non covered motor with a cab over canopy option. I have some ideas that will make the bottom better than the the MTH.

Allso I have a small pond (Pixey play land) that people run at that this might work good at.

I just found an all-chrome plastic model Allison V-1710 in 1/25 scale on ebay. It should arrive at the Stinkbugworks (a.k.a. my shop) within a few days.

Randy,

Let me know if and how I can help with your plans.

Randy Naylor 11-02-2008 02:20 PM

I really would like to know the cowell to start off with. I think a cowel with a open motor. But, I really would like to build a cab over.

Dr. Jet 11-02-2008 10:54 PM

Jack is building the Miss thriftway Too. Cabover shovelnose. Nice lines on that hull and enclosed motor. Since 1/24 and 1/25 scale motors can be found with some searching, an open cowl is a possibility.

eflyguy 11-03-2008 04:34 PM

Hey there, Bill! (This is Andy W)

Good to see you over here. I had a Graupner B24 years ago , but just picked up a 60" offshore cat hull (expresscraft cougar) for a steal, and signed up here to start my research into how to equip it.

Hope all is well!
..a

Dr. Jet 11-03-2008 09:40 PM

Hey Andy,

It looks like the guy that bought your Libelle is selling it. It was S/N 24 or 28 wasn't it? Several people have asked me about Libelles since I have so many of them in my hangar (#22, #34, and #107).

Good to see you here, keep an eye out and you will learn a lot.

Now, back to topic. Do you want to build the marine equivalent of a Speed 400 pylon racer? Join my little challenge!

eflyguy 11-04-2008 07:44 AM

Our summer vacation will be to Montana next year, already planned. That said, there's always room for a weekend getaway.. :)
..a

Dr. Jet 11-04-2008 09:08 AM

Sunny Southern California awaits...... :wave:

Dr. Jet 11-11-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Jet
I just found an all-chrome plastic model Allison V-1710 in 1/25 scale on ebay. It should arrive at the Stinkbugworks (a.k.a. my shop) within a few days.

Well, the little Allison showed up, and I've been mulling over some plans. The more I think about it, the more I am enamored by the thought of building the '77 Atlas from Garry's plans and reducing them to 1:25 scale. But what would I do with the Allison? Hide it under the cowl? I thought about the Notre Dame, but it does not have much room for the running gear at that small scale.

Dr. Jet 11-12-2008 07:31 PM

Well, I took Garry’s plans over to my favorite reprographics center to get them reduced to 1:25 scale. When they were reproducing my plans, they saw what they were and a number of discussions followed (they are into R/C cars and such). One thing led to another; then, they took me in the back to show me their laser cutter (32” capability) and their 5’ x 10’ CNC router.

Now this opens up a whole new world of possibilities! Discussions ensued, and it looks like I may be able to reproduce Garry’s hull in 1:25 scale as either a laser-cut kit or a CNC routed kit. I need to do some AutoCAD work to produce cutting files and revise the motor/battery locations, but that is an easy task.

Anybody thinking what I’m thinking???

Dr. Jet 11-13-2008 09:33 AM

Hmmmm..... After laying out the parts on the 1:25 scale plans, it looks like they won't fit. 1:24 will work a bit better. Time to go re-plot the plans. My plotter is not working (needs the drive belt replaced), so I have to head back to the reprographic place.

Dr. Jet 02-01-2018 07:57 PM

A decade later........

3 Attachment(s)
....... And I have finished some projects.

The Micro Scat Cat is done (mostly, I need to shoot clear on it and put a black border on the windscreen).

Dr. Jet 02-01-2018 08:11 PM

I also finished......

5 Attachment(s)
..... The Micro Turbine Hydro. The fins and wing are removable and it fits into an attache case.

Dr. Jet 02-01-2018 08:18 PM

I also painted.......

4 Attachment(s)
...... The MHZ Micro Shovel. As with all my micros, it fits in an attache case.

Dr. Jet 02-01-2018 08:24 PM

Currently in the works.........

3 Attachment(s)
...... Is a laser cut 1/20 scale Atlas Van Lines based on Garry Finlay's plans.

Dr. Jet 02-01-2018 08:33 PM

And it you like REALLY tiny.........

5 Attachment(s)
...... How about a 1/43 scale?

I don't know if it will work, but it's an exercise in small.