View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Racer

Prior to the records discussion there also a proposal to combine Q, S and T classes as their popularity at heat racing contests has dwindled over the years. In heat racing one could argue there is not a big advantage over a T boat compared to a Q or S boat. This primarily based on what shows up to races versus what one could build. The opposite occurs in SAW where boats are specially designed around a cell limit. On point are the cats which at least in NAMBA are tailored to the cell count. A single Q cat will never be competitive against a full twin T power system. In my own experience the riggers are a little different where the complexities of a twin donít balance the power advantages like the cats. After some very informative discussions with the proposer of the combined class rule he pulled it off the ballot.

There was some discussion over what would happen to the old records offline if the cat class rule passed and the offshore SAW classes went away. One option was to carry over the Offshore records as most were set with Cats with the exception of N2 which I hold my with 26" mono. The other option would be to archive the old records and the cat class would have all open records. For those that set records with cats in the Offshore class it would be a bit disappointing not to have their records transfer over and to have to go after them again. I wouldnít lose much sleep over the N2 Offshore record because it should be higher with a cat anyways. The flipside of this is the new rule would also affect 2-lap records which I personally have a lot to lose (N2, P, Q, S, T) seeing as N2, P and Q were all set with monoís. For 2-lap a good mono can be just as competitive as a cat single or twin. For this reason I would prefer to have the records archived. Hopefully we will come to a reasonable outcome both on the class restructuring and how to handle the records.

As far as the 1/2A nitro class a lot of it has to do with popularity of small boats particularly riggers and the available low cost engines and available hulls. NAMBA will also then parallel IMPBA for sizes offered allowing racers to travel to one anotherís competitions. This is certainly a class that could be considered entry level given the size, speed and cost, but it also attracts a lot of seasoned racers who enjoy the challenge of fine tuning and boats that donít consume $40 in fuel and plugs every time they enter the water.

Tyler