View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Sr. Skunk

For these rule proposals there is not much to argue about, except deleting at least 12 years of Offshore SAW records.

Me too I don't want to see fights over rule changes as we have seen them in the past and when I read how some rule debates develop on OSE, I don't want to see this either, but on the other hand, if these proposals are everything you guys think is required to adjust the existing rules to what is done at Saturday/Sunday club meetings then I'm afraid FE is pretty much done.

The last big rule changes in 2006/2007 have put FE on a new level - powerwise and also pricewise. With the economical situation now I doubt many have the ability and/or will to play on such a level, thus the Limited classes are more and more popular. But also some "small" classes - these on club level only, as there are no NAMBA rules for these.

The proposed rule changes for nitro indicate a similar situation: to reduce costs there is a proposal for a new 0.129 cu. in. class, which then will run smaller and thus cheaper boats.

I'm looking at the situation from pretty far away, but sometimes this might open your view to a more general sight.

1. I think leaving all smaller entry classes to club level rules is not the best way to go. Having them in the NAMBA rule book would make it much easier to attend races of clubs not too far away - which is basically the intention of a national organization: give a rule backbone so everyone can run everywhere whithout rebuilding his armada.

2. I understand that there should be a FE classes on a power levels to compete against gas and nitro boats. With LiPo this is more then possible now. The question is if this requirement should affect what has been the strength of FE in the past: quite fast small but environment friendly boats, at least boats much smaller than what can be powered by a nitro engine.

All around Europe the so called Mini classes become more and more popular: boats of about 1lb weight. These are the counterparts to the small and very popolar EP planes, really cheap and still quite fast. The small riggers reach speeds in excess of 50mph and still run for 5min on 2s1p 2200-2500mAh batteries (110g max. pack weight). I think these boats fit better into the current time than 4s2p $1500 boats.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a place for 10s2p Catamarans or Monos, but the LiPo technology opened the possible bandwidth from small to big and I think this is not reflected well on the small side in the current NAMBA rules.

Again, this is the view of someone outside, but I guess (and hope) still worth a thought.

Joerg