The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Boat Building & Do-it-yourself forums > Building, Setup, How to Articles, and other boating questions.
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Building, Setup, How to Articles, and other boating questions. This section is where we will archive articles that people write. If you would like to submit an article contact us and we'd be glad to get it posted for you!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Speed Seeker

Boats??? man that wood would make a nice table... really good looking stuff.... :wave:
Old 10-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Sr. Racer

After searching for good quality mahogany I came up with a source or possible avenue. I prefer Honduran mahogany because it has a smaller, tighter grain then all of the African mahogany I have came across. The color vain patterns are also smaller which make for a more scale looking fiished project. I found that musical instrument woods require a much higher quality and tighter grain for best sound production. So I checked with a local instrument repairman and maker and he was able to get the Mahogany for me. What I got was 500 linier feet of 4 foot 3-4 inch planks 3/32 to 1/8 inch thick, my choice. Forgot to mention the wood is garaunteed at least 100 years old. It is a rich reddish purple color with tight grain with no knots or rough wide grain areas, Here are a couple of photos of the wood and a planked hydro project I am working on, as you can see the color and grain scale is great. This is with 2 layers of 1/2 oz. glass cloth and 3 coats of finish resign sanded to 600 grit. No clear coats have been applied. The cost was much less then I had found at at specail wood centers or on the internet. Also the quality was fantastic. Had to be careful in cutting and bending as due to its age it is a little bit on the brittle side.If you have any instrument builders in you area you may want to check them out as well. Also many wholesalers offer discounts for larger orders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01642.JPG (88.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01644.JPG (72.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01645.JPG (67.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01646.JPG (58.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01648.JPG (72.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by hydronut; 10-27-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Preferred Vendor

Rod. Great looking wood. What is your technique/glue used to plank the deck?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:21 PM
pondripper

Wood!

Quote:
Rod. Great looking wood
Ditto
Looks great Man:yeah:
Old 10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Sr. Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Campbell
Rod. Great looking wood. What is your technique/glue used to plank the deck?
Thank you very much. I first glue 1/64 lite plywood skin to the inner bulk head and stringer frame work. You can use larger sheets or narrow planks to the frame work with 15 or 30 minute epoxy. Once dried I waterproof the skin with epoxy alcohol mix allow to dry overnight then lightly sand the skin with 120 sand paper to shape and to provide more tooth to the planks glue. Once the planks have been cut to desired width and approximate length I glue them down to the hull skin with contact cement or formica counter top glue. I lay the plank first on the hull and mark it on the hull skin with a pen I then add a strip of masking tape to protect the hull skin area next to the planks location and were the next plank will go. I then apply glue to the plank and to the unmasked area. I allow this to dry for about 5 minutes then press the plank on to the glued hull skin. You only have one shot as it sticks like crazy. On this one I started in the center of the hull and worked outward both directions 1 or 2 planks at a time. This way I could get a good tight joint between the planks. You can also add a small strip of ash or bass wood between each plank to get the light and dark spriped effect that is popular on many scale boats. Once completed the planking is left to dry over night. then trim and sand all over hanging planks to the finished shape ,then sand all planked deck surfaces level with 80 grit sand paper. Once your happy with the surface add layers of light woven fiberglass cloth and finishing resign and begin final finish prep.

Last edited by hydronut; 10-27-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Gold Cup Build

I received the plans from Garry for BabyBootlegger, and am starting to purchase the materials for the build. I'm a rank newbie, so what would be the best guess for hardware costs for the build? Garry recommends a 700 motor,with two six packs of batteries, servo and transmitter + ESC.

What's the up front cost and hopefully model numbers for me to complete this build ? This won't be a high end project, just a model that will be fun to run on a local pond.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
Old 11-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Awaiting Re-admittance process

Start your shopping at www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Andy
Old 11-05-2006, 12:40 PM

mike, i didn't realize you were looking for model plans. when you asked i thought you were looking for actual plans for a full size boat. i have most of the model plans that are available for the gold cup boats. most are not that nice and leave much to guess at. i have only built a few and i am working on El Lagarto right now.

scott
Old 01-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Sr. Racer

Progress on the tribute BUD BOAT

I have recieved a couple of e-mails if I had made any progress on the planked mahogany hydro I have been building. Here are the photos as promised. I have decided to finish her in kind of a BUD tribute boat. I think there was only 1 mahogany BUD Not sure and to lazy to check for sure but I think it was the striped mahogany deck dropped sponson 1969. Well this boat has different accents from differnt hull years. I should have the detail work done and final clear coats this week. There you go Nate just a little update.. Hope you like the progress. Not sure of how I will power it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01706.JPG (39.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01707.JPG (42.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01708.JPG (42.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01709.JPG (51.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Sr. Racer

1967 is the year
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Sr. Racer

Thanks JIM! Wasn't sure
Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
pondripper

[QUOTE][There you go Nate just a little update.. Hope you like the progress. Not sure of how I will power it./QUOTE]

Looks Great Much better than I thought!! It is Hard to tell over the phone. Rod your work is a ten In my book:yeah:

Last edited by pondripper; 01-14-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Sr. Racer

Thank you Nate Maybe 8.5-9:yeah:
Old 01-02-2016, 09:40 PM

Gold Cup Plans

Hi everyone I am looking for a set of plans for the El Lagarto and the Tornado. I have many sets of Hacker Craft plans which covers the plans in the Runabout Book and the Build a boat book a couple of Ditchburns and some Chris Craft 29GB total of plans. let me know I would like to do business. wardm40@yahoo.com

Thank you all for your time!
Mike