The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Boat Building & Do-it-yourself forums > Building, Setup, How to Articles, and other boating questions.
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Building, Setup, How to Articles, and other boating questions. This section is where we will archive articles that people write. If you would like to submit an article contact us and we'd be glad to get it posted for you!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:19 PM

Old Gold Cup Boats

I am a rank newbie at model boats, but have certianly caught the bug to this type building/racing. I have searched constantly for plans for any of the Cup boats from the 1920's-1940's without much luck. I have requested research information from the mariner's museum on various Hacker designs and also Mystic Seaport for early George Crouch boats.

Have any of you veterans built any of these old boats and would like to share plans ? I can't locate my plans to Baby Bootlegger, but I do have them in my garage somewhere.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
pondripper

Ther were some plans here on rumrunners That Gary Finnly Made Nice plans You can search for them on this site and download them if Not I have them and I will email them to you If it is ok with Gary F.

Is this OK Gary F.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Hi Mike, Welcome to Rum Runner! Look up EddieH here, he's one of the moderators and along with a few others on this forum have built some of the old style gold cup boats from scratch. I know there are some plans out there, but one of those guys would need to tell you where to get them.

Gone kart racing with my son. :wave:
Old 08-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Speed Seeker

Mike which boat are you looking for in particular??? there are a lot of gold cuppers, as you mentioned in your email, the museum in clayton is an excellent source, also here is another sight

http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/

Garry Finlay did do beautiful plans of the baby bootlegger but do not know if they are for public consumption,
here are some other sights
http://www.classicrunabouts.de/Produ...ootlegger.html
http://classicwoodenboatplans.com/

I have other plans for the dixie, (abe taubman plans) now it belongs to loyalhanna, and for the rainbow, the delphine, the shadow, they are out there but let me know which plans and I'll try to help.

an idea is to think in 1/8th scale, this way you can race all the dumas runabouts, and also the fitting kits can be used to make the build easier..

maybe 1/10th scale :wave:
Old 08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
FE Luchador

After reading Eddie's post, I went here http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/

Great package. Can probably take them to any copy shop and have them scaled.

I gotta do one of those myself.
NAMBA #756, District 4 Director
IMPBA 19545 S

"Today, be the person your dog thinks you are."
Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Infidel

As always, Roger Newton is a source for plans, as is the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum in Seattle. Most sources concentrate on post-war boats, but others are available. The Tempo IV/My Sin was rebuilt by H.A.R.M. members and plans for it may be available.

http://www.thunderboats.org/

http://www.newtonmarine.com/

Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Speed Seeker

Jay that is cool, I went to the vintage hydro site and a fellow did an outstanding job on a 1/4 scale tempo iv, however when I asked about plans I was referred to another gentleman that wanted 150 for the plans, no doubt they were excellent plans, and he spent a huge amount of time getting the measurements lines etc, but 150 is expensive to part with...

mike, bill morgan owns hacker now, my scale clubmate Dave Kammerer built a model of the delphine for him, it was outstanding , you may try contacting the company direct http://www.hackerboat.com/
here is a link
http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...light=delphine

man I was suppose to make that model years ago, so many boats so little time.....

if roger has older plans they will be worth building, Jim clark sent me a link to one of the plans sent awhile back, it was a gorgeous older style hydro, just when they were adding sponsons....
Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 PM

Gold Cup plans

Thanks to all for the replies and various links. Some are new, some are others that I had found. I can understand some designers or builders might not want to part with plans for fear of someone duplicating a full scale model.

I'll have to contact Hacker as a few of his boats are absoluetly beautiful, one is Ethyl Ruth IV and the other Scotty an early stepped gentleman's runabout. Both of these have beautiful rounded sheers similar to Baby Bootlegger and a boattail stern. I have the pics on my other computer plus I'll figure out how to post them here.

To the best of my knowledge, which is getting worse all the time, no one has made a model of either Ethyl Ruth IV or Scotty. They both would be a bear to plank but I am a masochist at heart.

Thanks much for the information and if anyone knows of models I'd appreciate trying to find lines drawings.

Mike
Old 08-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Sr. Racer

I personally would love to build the Delphene or the baby bootlegger
I don't remember the link Eddie
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieh
Jay that is cool, I went to the vintage hydro site and a fellow did an outstanding job on a 1/4 scale tempo iv, however when I asked about plans I was referred to another gentleman that wanted 150 for the plans, no doubt they were excellent plans, and he spent a huge amount of time getting the measurements lines etc, but 150 is expensive to part with...

mike, bill morgan owns hacker now, my scale clubmate Dave Kammerer built a model of the delphine for him, it was outstanding , you may try contacting the company direct http://www.hackerboat.com/
here is a link
http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...light=delphine

man I was suppose to make that model years ago, so many boats so little time.....

if roger has older plans they will be worth building, Jim clark sent me a link to one of the plans sent awhile back, it was a gorgeous older style hydro, just when they were adding sponsons....
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Watch out for some guy on ebay that sells copies of the Delphene plans, they are not accurate. Unfortunately, I had to find out the hard way!

Gone kart racing with my son. :wave:
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Sr. Racer

Well, it may be time to kick loose the 1/10th scale plans of the Baby Bootlegger. I have not build the boat to these plans yet. So, they would have to be classified as “pre-release”. But anyone who wants to proof the drawings, send me a PM with an e-mail address that can handle about a half meg attachment, and I will send off a couple of .PDF files. These will print out full size on 44” X 34” sheets (E-size).

The plans shows a setup for 12 cells and a 700 type motor. You can take that and go from there with whatever floats your boat.

Garry Finlay
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Awaiting Re-admittance process

Garry,

I can print these plans for those who need them as well (provided you e-mail me the file andy@montanadesign.com).

I should soon be receiving a set of plans from Dave Frank for those who may want them as well. And we can still make the RRR contest plans for those who need them.

Andy
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Sr. Racer

Email sent to you Gary
Old 08-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Sr. Racer

I’ve sent out a few sets of plans. I hope these work out OK for you guys. I have always built a hull and tested the boat before sending out plans in the past. So, let me know what works and what doesn’t work.

Feel free to be brutal. I will update the drawings if people find a good common theme for improvement.

This will be a labor intensive project. The double hull planking will be time consuming. If you find good mahogany and keep all the seams tight, this will be a great looking boat. There are lots of details that are not shown on these plans like spray rails, exhaust and hull vent locations, jump seat and interior details.

And for Eddie, there are several thousand brass rivet heads that need to be carefully placed and polished.

Have fun,

Garry
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Awaiting Re-admittance process

They are NICE looking plans. It is 2 E-size sheets, so it will be $10.00 + $5.00 shipping. None of the plans are on my website (because they are a service not a profit center), so just send a PayPal for the right amount to andy@montanadesign.com and I'll print and ship to you in a tube, rolled.

Those aren't rivets on the real one - they're brass Philips wood screws (at least that's what they looked like) with about 6" of varnish over top. It's gorgeous in person. Last I knew she was in Laconia, NH. The guy who was taking care of her just loved working on her, but I had a less-than-amicable run-in with the owner when I told him I wanted to make a model of it. Most guys are flattered - he wanted to be able to give his permission. HA!

Andy
Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 PM

I found pictures of a Hacker stepped runabout called Scotty from some Antique Boat show. ere Found the owner and he's sending drawings which he found of the origianl boat. He's also sending more boat show pics of this boat.
I believe it has a Packard v12 as original but I'm not positive.

Being the masochist I am I don't know wheter to make it static or electric, we'll see. The boat has beautiful lines, but I don't know how much machining would be involved to make a cool RC. Any ideas out there on an electric installation ?

Thanks again for evryones help and links. This is a great forum.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scotty6 (Small).jpg (47.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg scotty 5 (Small).jpg (46.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 PM
pondripper

More Plans Please

How aboult the Century Thunderbolt any plans for this one? Great looking smaller boat!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Speed Seeker

nate actually mack model marine has a kit for the thunderbolt, down to the gold leaf lettering..........
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Speed Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswindell
I found pictures of a Hacker stepped runabout called Scotty from some Antique Boat show. ere Found the owner and he's sending drawings which he found of the origianl boat. He's also sending more boat show pics of this boat.
I believe it has a Packard v12 as original but I'm not positive.

Being the masochist I am I don't know wheter to make it static or electric, we'll see. The boat has beautiful lines, but I don't know how much machining would be involved to make a cool RC. Any ideas out there on an electric installation ?

Thanks again for evryones help and links. This is a great forum.

Mike

actually mike the engine in scotty is the original engine from the delphine, I have pics for that motor, and it can be made as a cover for say a 700 class racer... build her in 1/10th scale and this way if other folks build some gold cuppers we can have some nostalgia racers... whatcha think???
Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Speed Seeker

mike as for electric, I don't think it would be hard at all, these boats are narrow, and long, so they won't take a tremendous amount of power to get them planning well, add a gear drive and well anythings possible...