The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Fast Electric Forums > The Lipo Lounge
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Crew Chief

Paul

Tnx for input on taps, Paul.

Norm Kris Sr.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 AM
COF Racing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMKRIS View Post
After talking to Ken via phone I successfully restored all my packs with one
exception.........the "dead one"(no voltage). Cost me no more than a case
of my favorite Canadian brew $23.79 plus postage......I can live with that,lol.

"Uncle Norm"

Tnx for the phone call Ken.
Norm,

It sounds like things turned out OK for you. Have you run the new batteries in a boat yet?

Let me know when you want to come over and run your boats. I got my first chance to retrieve the first boat with the Electric Go-For. Joe was impressed. The only issue was I never made a catch basket to retrive smaller boats. The boat kept on sliding under the rear PVC support. But, that's fixed now. Now I can retrieve any size boat. :wave:

Mid Michigan Electric Unlimiteds

Home of the Michigan Cup

Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Hello all..i have a turnigy 30/40c 6s lipo that got mildly hot during runtime now 2 of the 6 cells show 1 to1.5 volts lower and do not register on my charger..genes ace charger external balancer.miss vegas duece elex conversion with hobbywing seaking 180 amp and metal prop..thanks for any help..
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Infidel

What does "mildly hot" mean? Use the external balancer to equalize all the cells, depending on their voltage you may have to partially charge the pack a few times to keep the voltage high enough. You do not want any cell below 3.0 volts. Once they are all equalized, charge them to about 4 volts and see how they perform. Keep a close eye on individual cell voltage. You may not be able to salvage them, considering their low cost it may just be better to toss them.

Where in Atascocita are you? I'm in Eagle Springs.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Racer

Are you guys using the Nano Techs? Has anybody tried them in their boat?
I fly RC planes which is my main hobby and have talked with people who are now using other brands such as Turnigy and Gens Ace and have no complaints. I'm flying with Gens Ace and totally satisfied with their performance and the price, while more than Turnigy is still better than TP, Hyperion or Polyquest. I've used all three in the past and at this point I cannot justify spending all that extra money on battery packs especially when the distributor is charging so much for them in order sponsor the hot shot plane and heli flyers.
So far the only boat I have is a BBY Off Shore 26, although in the past I had a Fine Design mono using 16 round cells.( Wish I had not sold it) Also have the JAE still in the box. So at this point 2S and 4S packs are what I'm going to be ordering.
The old saw, you get what you pay for still remains but that may be somewhat flexible.
These newer cells especially with their high discharge and charge rates coupled with attractive pricing are helping to keep our hobbies going. Besides I can use the extra money to buy better motors.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Infidel

The 'nanos' are popular in boats, at least for the RTR-level of power. Drawing more than 100 amps continuous stresses them, I have seen several burn up. Ditto a GensAce which burst into flames two weeks ago in a hot hydro setup.

I suppose they are fine for moderate power use, but I would buy better packs for high power.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Racer

Well, yes, you get what you pay for. However it seems that even the top end packs such as Hyperion and TP have also been roached from time to time. So I guess it's how hard they're used.
I can see this happening when using a pack that doesn't have a high enough discharge rate, unless the stated discharge rate is bogus, which just may be the case. Until discharge rates can be independently verified , we don't really know what we're getting.
Incidentally I have had a few Hyperion packs puff on me in the past.
My take is if one is competing, by all means use the best packs available. Otherwise for those who just like to bash around the pond for fun why not use some less expensive packs? As long as they're not stressed to the point of explosion, they should be ideal .
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Infidel

What matters is what you expect and how much BS you are willing to put up with regarding reliability/damage. Members of our club have been using TP and Hyperion packs for our racing boats for over four years - many many many dozens of packs, not just what one guy buys - and zero failures. Cheaper Chinese packs - failures and short lifetime common, along with less performance.

Some people will rationalize spending less money no matter what. Bottom line - your money, your choice.

Last edited by Jay Turner; 08-19-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM

I have used Turnegy lipos for many years. I have been getting 3-4 seasons out of there packs. I use the 4-s 4000 30-40 c and the 2-s 4000 30-40 c packs in my 1/10th scale hydro's and never once have I had any trouble with them, they work great. When we started using lipos I got stung paying big bucks for the marine power brand and they went bad in a few years. I guess I have been lucky with these as every one else is having problems. Will continue to use Turnegy lipos until the I see a problem with them.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 AM

I just got 4 of the 2s 5000 7.4 v three would not charge one did just fine. was getting a battery failure code for over current, changed the ends to deans tried to recharge at a lower amps and step it up a little after a few days of slow working them they finally balanced out and give me a green light. have not tried to run them yet to see run times as yet
Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Racer

i am with slowmo5...been using turnigy batts for 3 or 4 years and never had a problem at all....
Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Crew Chief

Date of thread

Anybody notice that this thread was started over 4 years ago? Boy.....talk about beating a dead horse!

NormKris