The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Fast Electric Forums > The POWER Forums - Motors, Power, Electronics > The Brushless Motor Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Brushless Motor Forum Brushless motors are becoming more and more popular. This is where you can ask and discuss all the latest brushless motor technology!

Old 11-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Racer

Weigh in on motor comparision for 1:10 scale!

I'm looking for some input here from some of the experienced racers out there. We have done some in-boat testing during the last year to find some comparable motor options to spec for our Div 2 class of racing in Classic Thunder. It was an incredibly nice surprise to find that the Scorpion HK 3226-1600 was across the board, and across different boats, a consistently identical performing motor to the NAMBA legal Himax 3630-1500 motor. The experiment showed competitive results under race conditions during the season too. I thought it would be a good, different option to propose adding to the inrunner options in NAMBA's 1:10 scale class officially and want to make that proposal. The HK3226-1600 looks to be the replacement for the 3026-1600 offered previously by Scorpion and then Hyperion. They all seem to be out there and have similar specs. However, our comparisons were simply done on the water, switching them between boats and comparing top speed on gps with the same hull, batteries etc. I'm hoping that some of you could help me fill in the blanks of what you would look for when comparing these motor specs on paper and report back with your opinions on how comparable you think they may or may not be. They look good so far to us in competition and are comparably priced too.
1:10 Scale Enthusiast
www.classicthunder.us
email: hydroscale@gmail.com or visit hydroscalecreations.com
Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 AM

Mitch,

I think you might get a better response if you put this up over on OSE. They've had a few conversations about motors both for and against changes to the motor list.

John
Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Racer

Am I correct that these motors are air cooled ?
If so is there some sort of fan involved?
If a fan is involved would'nt that create positive pressure inside the hull?
Could that pressure blow out the seal that makes the boat water tight ?
I spend alot of time getting my hulls water tight and have even used air pressure as a way to check for leaks .
"caution" if you use this method it takes very little pressure to find a leak.
To much pressure and you can create a leak , ask me how I know that. lol
Something to think about.
T.C.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:55 PM
Racer

I have never tested the other motors but have always wanted to try a himax 1500 as I have tried pb 1500's and have had good results. I have 3 namba legal motors left so looks like himax will have to wait...its hell to be as cheep as I am....

TC.. Don and Hugh and I were thinking maybe the modern class could go up to 1800kv motors....
Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 AM
Racer

I don't know if the outrunner would create enough pressure to compromise the seal on a boat, but I suppose it could. They do pull in air to cool the motors as they spin. Maybe the air being pushed out is equalized by the air being drawn in since the volume of air wouldn't change. I wouldn't think it would make that much difference in a boat that size. If it's that tight of a seal, I would think that the heat from any motor, batteries etc inside the boat expanding the air would make as much of a difference as anything. I will try putting it up over at OSE and see what kind of a response we get, thanks guys.
1:10 Scale Enthusiast
www.classicthunder.us
email: hydroscale@gmail.com or visit hydroscalecreations.com

Last edited by Coug90; 11-22-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling errors found
Old 11-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Contest Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug90 View Post
I'm looking for some input here from some of the experienced racers out there. We have done some in-boat testing during the last year to find some comparable motor options to spec for our Div 2 class of racing in Classic Thunder. It was an incredibly nice surprise to find that the Scorpion HK 3226-1600 was across the board, and across different boats, a consistently identical performing motor to the NAMBA legal Himax 3630-1500 motor. The experiment showed competitive results under race conditions during the season too. I thought it would be a good, different option to propose adding to the inrunner options in NAMBA's 1:10 scale class officially and want to make that proposal. The HK3226-1600 looks to be the replacement for the 3026-1600 offered previously by Scorpion and then Hyperion. They all seem to be out there and have similar specs. However, our comparisons were simply done on the water, switching them between boats and comparing top speed on gps with the same hull, batteries etc. I'm hoping that some of you could help me fill in the blanks of what you would look for when comparing these motor specs on paper and report back with your opinions on how comparable you think they may or may not be. They look good so far to us in competition and are comparably priced too.
Glad to see the fellas looking for options. This has been on-going since the Spec Class where 1st proposed.

I love Spec racing. Best thing that happened to FE Racing since I started in 1997. As good as this class has been.... the class has been limited and perhaps doomed by the selection of motors which has somewhat 'tagged' the sport to several manufacturer's who sell $5.00 'low bid' motors. Which over time.... will continue to degrade. Its just business.

Lot of chatter appearing after this past season. Even our great leader (Dave) publishing idea on how not to blow up a Spec motor while racing (OSE thread). Simply an 'excuse' (my 2 cents)... the problem remain. All credit and respect to Dave.

I to like the Scorpion. Run's cooler...my boats looks more scale.

What about car motors???? There are many great 10th scale motors which could work, that are readily available, can be repaired and are priced well, too. Would be a great option ... I available or boats.
Its 5:00pm somewhere!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Contest Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
Am I correct that these motors are air cooled ?
If so is there some sort of fan involved?
If a fan is involved would'nt that create positive pressure inside the hull?
Could that pressure blow out the seal that makes the boat water tight ?
I spend alot of time getting my hulls water tight and have even used air pressure as a way to check for leaks .
"caution" if you use this method it takes very little pressure to find a leak.
To much pressure and you can create a leak , ask me how I know that. lol
Something to think about.
T.C.
TC - how ya doing????? Hope all is well. See you soon. Will be down after the holidays to sort out some new boats. Need to get water time
Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Contest Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron2010 View Post
I have never tested the other motors but have always wanted to try a himax 1500 as I have tried pb 1500's and have had good results. I have 3 namba legal motors left so looks like himax will have to wait...its hell to be as cheep as I am....

TC.. Don and Hugh and I were thinking maybe the modern class could go up to 1800kv motors....
Ron - I expect to be water ready w/ 2 boats early year. Lets all decide on a motor. I too say 1800KV. Then maybe we should pick a motor plus an option two.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Racer

don was hopeing to run with hugh and yourself about the 14th of dec or if u know a lake near your place where we can run I have a couple of the last batch of dynamite motors and I thin a pb 1800 still don't really have any opinion on new motors if u and hugh and tc find something ill go for it too...does aq still make the 1800kv motor? I really liked the power from them.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:29 AM

hey Ron yes aq still makes the 1800 that's what we run in the little skiffs and they weigh a lot more than you'r hydros.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Racer

skiffs like this one lol

66152_4388373114686_1502470821_n.jpg
Old 11-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Contest Director

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron2010 View Post
don was hopeing to run with hugh and yourself about the 14th of dec or if u know a lake near your place where we can run I have a couple of the last batch of dynamite motors and I thin a pb 1800 still don't really have any opinion on new motors if u and hugh and tc find something ill go for it too...does aq still make the 1800kv motor? I really liked the power from them.
Hey Ron. am getting there. Early Dec wont work for me. Too many day job distractions. I'll be in touch as the month unfolds. Have 6 boats on Bench prepping/finishing for the coming season. Of course..... 2 are 10th scale.

Say - are we running 1500's in Vintage and 1800's in Modern????
Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Racer

motors

I got no clue it was suggested by me but TC never heard of it but he doesent have a modern anyway....hugh and I are ok with it if u are... 1800 peob wont make much difference but its a start....what ya think?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Racer

Ron,Don, TC...If ur talking about the WaveBlasters spring race...what ever u guys want is fine w us.It's not the Nats,just a bunch of rednecks throwing a big club race!Can't speak for other races or clubs though.

Looking fwd to seeing u guys again soon.

JS
Old 11-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Racer

jeff I always look forward to coming down for the spring race hugh and I will be there again this sprng don says he will have his 10 scales done by then but hes only got 5 more months so hes a maybe lol
Old 12-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Racer

Ron,there was some talk of maybe having the shootout a month or 2 earlier next year???

Stay tuned...that's all I got for now.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Racer

sounds good to me
Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Contest Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
Ron,there was some talk of maybe having the shootout a month or 2 earlier next year???

Stay tuned...that's all I got for now.
That's good news! Lots of notice for planning time would be terrific.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Racer

Just discussion so far,but we'd like to run late Apr or early May.It's still early for us so stay tuned.Any suggestions or input is welcome.

Sorry,think we've hijacked Mitch's thread.We'll start a new thread when there is news from Blasterland.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Racer

so what we have here is the himax 1500kv motor and the dynamite 1500kv and the dynamite 2000kv motor (not on list of motors yet) aq2030 kv motor aq1800kv motor and the aq 1500kv motor anyone comparied them yet? I know the himax and the dynamite are good so far...