The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Specialty Forums > Scale Hydro Board
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Scale Hydro Board This board is for the Scale Hydro fans!! Scale Hydros of all sizes - 1/16, 1/12, 1/10, 1/8, and even 1/6th scale.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:47 AM
TURNING OVER A NEW LEAF

ya that makes sense.. hmmm. so to make this easier why don't we just follow the Namba rules for 1/8th scale and just make up the power requirements like any motor with 24 to 32 cells or lipoly equivalent

I know nothing
Old 08-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Sr. Racer

It would be good to have an adjustable strut on something as experimental as a 1/8th FE Hydro. Where can I get a strut that will allow sor adjustability and still be mounted through the bottom of the hull so that it's not extending past the transom? On a hydro hul where the transom is not simply flat and straight across the back, would the measurement to the drive dog be taken from the point of the hull that's furthest astern? I want to be sure that I cut this right the first time
Old 08-28-2004, 05:21 PM
NONE

Hello Jim,

My strut is adjustable, just like hanging it off the back would be. The strut I used was from Speedmaster, part #MBDV40. The transom of the boat is where the drive dog should line up with, if the canoes are further back it still needs to be the transom. Here's a guideline, if you look straight down at the deck (like it was sitting in the water) all you should see is the prop sticking out.

Paul.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Sr. Racer

Got it! Thanks for the help Paul. I'll get that strut.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Prefered Vendor

I didnt see any struts mounted on the transom at MC5. That would have been against the rules. All struts must be mounted thru the bottom. And i highly suggest they be adjustable. My setup has the prop starting about 2 drive dogs lengths aft of the transom. It works great, but don't see any reason performance wise (agree with Paul) why it needs to be closer or even under the transom unless its a `scale' issue.

~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~
****2008/9 MMEU LSO CHAMP****
*****2008 MMEU LSH CHAMP*****
NAMBA/IMPBA multi-record setting Scale U-64 Squire Shop & U-00 Atlas Van Lines
~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~

http://uniquefe.com/
Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 AM
TURNING OVER A NEW LEAF

so does anyone have writen rules for our version of 1/8th scale or do we need to write them to suit what we are doing.

I know nothing
Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Sr. Racer

I think that it would help to write them down, or just say we you are bound by the IMPBA rules for 1/8th Scale, with no exceptions.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:06 AM
TURNING OVER A NEW LEAF

I agree 100% Jim.. I mean if we want to hash them out together and have a master copy I will host them on my website so everyone can link to them.. The just do what you want and put the strut under the boat scares me a bit

I know nothing
Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Preferred Vendor

Ken, I also saw Paul's bad monster in WI...the strut does go thru the hull. He can adjust it up and down...and maybe a little front to back but not much.

That is one sweet boat, Paul! The work and set up on that monster is nothing less than perfect.

I'm still amazed how fast it ran....so darn much power it is crazy.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:21 AM

Okay guys. I have a 1/8 "stand-off" scale hull on its way, scale strut, no hardware on the transom. Any decision on motor & cells? Is this Super Saver concept gonna be something like an IROC racing class? Scale speeds? Anybody drawing-up the actual rules? I'd appreciate some feedback before dumping a bunch of cash into a power plant I can't use. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

This thread might help...
http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=22205

You might want to post in there as it's only being kicked around in California for now.

Gone kart racing with my son. :wave:
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Hey guys first time doing this only to say that the old shovel nose 34 yrs old that has and qualified namba and impba legal and has placed and won many races in 34 yrs, i just pulled the nitro motor [67 mac ] out and droped in a neu 1527 motor on 10 s lipo, and went to the valdosta saws and set the impba 1/8 scale unlimited record at 67.004 mph two way adverage. I think i still have 5 or 7 mph left boat weighed 21 lbs with 10s 2p lipos. Not trying to brage but this ol classic set some records 34 years ago thanks again every for the help and the opertunty opps typo to do it again guess u can say ol man herbs back
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Zoom Zoom

COngrats Herb, I had seen the news... I heard also she had some reserves for next time...

::::::::::::::. SoCal Fast Electric Club .:::::::::::

------------::. It's NEVER fast enough! .::---------
:::::::::::::::::::. Got Props? .::::::::::::::::::::

Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 AM

I think i have a reserve. Or i know i do i know i do i'll let everyone know at the next saws i can get to
Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Zoom Zoom

Remember, L.A. still has THE SAW EVENT to go... Legg Lake is notorious for fast passes... come on down!!!

::::::::::::::. SoCal Fast Electric Club .:::::::::::

------------::. It's NEVER fast enough! .::---------
:::::::::::::::::::. Got Props? .::::::::::::::::::::

Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Sr. Racer

Congratulations and welcome back Herb! We old guys have to stick together. What you accomplished in Valdosta should be an example to a lot of guys with cool old 1/8th Scales sitting on the shelf, that are wondering if it would be possible to convert them to electric. Yes, indeed!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Q OFFSHORE!!!!!

My Hamms bear was a nitro boat that Ed Hansen converted for me, is easily 20 years old and 22+ lbs and is scary fast w/ a1527/1.5Y on 10S2P, these old hydros run great and mine handles great too.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Speed Seeker

Mike you would like the way Herbs boat runs, almost as stable as yours, it was a rock, but the 2p probably had a lot to do with it, I ran my griffon bud on 1p flight power 4900's ( only 25c) no issues what so ever herb had a gorgeous thriftway 2 there too, plus a lot of other goodies, it is VERY doable converting gas 1/8th scale hulls!!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Q OFFSHORE!!!!!

yeah and if i can get doug sr to make me a cowl like his I can shave 6 lbs off my boat!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Won't own a Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieh View Post
Mike you would like the way Herbs boat runs, almost as stable as yours, it was a rock, but the 2p probably had a lot to do with it, I ran my griffon bud on 1p flight power 4900's ( only 25c) no issues what so ever herb had a gorgeous thriftway 2 there too, plus a lot of other goodies, it is VERY doable converting gas 1/8th scale hulls!!

So its possible to run on 1p? what prop(if you wish to share) and what esc were u using?