The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Fast Electric Forums > The Original Fast Electric Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Original Fast Electric Q&A This is the #1 spot in the world to ask questions about Fast Electric R/C Boats.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:37 PM
geridr

mrp miss bud hydroplane

hello , i'm new here and i'm in hopes you guys can help me.
I picked up a mrp miss bud hydro dirt cheap off ebay . Its in need of motors and speed control.I was planing on a 700 but now im going to stay with two 550's.
I really dont want to put to much money into it , but would like it to be faster then stock. what would be a good motors/speed control combo for me?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Racer

SSI and RC hydros ESC

Should give you speeds around 30? Watch the for sale forum on this site. Might be able to find what you need at less than retail prices.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:03 PM
geridr

thanks but what i want to know is what motors and speed control to use.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 PM

The title of 2fast4u's gave you some good tips. The SS1 is a Speed 700 type motor from Fine Design and the RC-Hydros is a brand of ESC. On 12 cells this is a very good motor and ESC for a 24" hydroplane. Very reliable and nearly indestructable. As noted, these items often show up on the Swap Shop page for good prices.

RvE
Old 03-12-2005, 09:19 PM
geridr

im sorry i didnt see that at the top of his post. if i went that way could i use the same prop? what web site can i find these new?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Infidel

Not easy to do...

Set up perfectly from the factory the original MRP Bud did around 22-25 mph. The motors didn't last long and were pretty inefficient. The prop was really too small for a boat that size too. With an SS-1 and 12 decent cells you should be able to run between 25-30 mph. You will not use the same prop or drive shaft - you'll want an Octura x442 to x447 to start. Installing the SS-1 will be a major job changing the hardware, and is not for a new boater without some help. It is certainly do-able, but seek advice from someone who can help you, preferably someone who lives near you.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Awaiting Re-admittance process

I have an MRP Bud that can run either electric or nitro with a relatively quick change.

I made a doubler to spread the loads around a little, using the same holes that help the MRP gearbox in place. I made an adapter for the top side that just bolts down then.

You could make an easy-enough adapter to do the same basic thing with a 700.

Andy
Old 03-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Racer

This will work very well!http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14663
Old 03-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Racer

Mrp Hydro

Hi Everyone

I have converted the Mrp boat to a 700. With a new type 8.4 700 or SS1,You can get 30mph + out of the boat. You will need really good batteries to do this .More average batteries can still get you 27-28 mph. With good 3300s I get runs of over six min.too.The motor seems to last forever with this kind of use. A new motor mount will be needed .The one I made drops right in and uses the same holes . The prop shaft will not line up so a 5mm x 1/8" flex shaft is needed to couple them together. It will have a curve but ,It works well ,no problems. The props Jay mentioned will work great as well as the Graupner Carbon Fiber props .I like to use the k43.5 on mine .The K45 is also a good one and a little faster. If you want to know more, just drop me a pm or e-mail. n.h.schmidt
Old 03-13-2005, 11:20 AM
geridr

that sounds like the way to go.

I found a new set of 550's with a novak esc for 75 dollars. How do you think this setup would work in my boat