The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Fast Electric Forums > The Original Fast Electric Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Original Fast Electric Q&A This is the #1 spot in the world to ask questions about Fast Electric R/C Boats.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Sr. Racer

RC retriever boat?

Anyone using an RC boat as a retriever of dead boats? I want to hear what your using and how it works.

Thanks,

John Fruge
Old 01-01-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm in waaay over my head

You want a recovery boat? This is what you need....
http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=18107
Or you can be like me and get a "rubber duckie" inflatable and row your self out in the middle of the lake every time.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
H301 Libelle Pilot

Rescue Rigger

I did this:

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...=Rescue+rigger

The drawbacks are: It is too big and bulky to transport. I'm planning (with Tophall's collaboration) of adapting a Graupner plastic B-24 RTR boat to use as a rescue platform. I'm thinking about using a geared Speed 400 motor with a fairly large diameter, flat pitch, possibly multi-bladed, submerged prop on the remaining stock running gear. A cheap 35 amp, reversable ESC would be overkill with this motor/gear/prop combo. It would run forever on 3300s.

The design issue is: How to make a suitable "push", "pull", or "capture" device that would attach to the B-24 (or any cheap boat) hull. I'm thinking something that could be towed a few feet behind the boat. Imagine a farm tractor towing some big wide implement behind it, with a high towbar going to the tractor. Pull up alongside the craft in distress, go past it a little, turn slightly towards the stricken craft and Voila! It's captured. Use some foam floats, some CF rods, some bird netting and go trolling for floating debris. It would need to be lightweight, easily transportable (folds up or breaks down when done?).

Maybe after all my other projects are done................. :rolls:
Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm in waaay over my head

Now that is cool...
Old 01-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Sr. Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lferguson79
You want a recovery boat? This is what you need....
http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=18107
Or you can be like me and get a "rubber duckie" inflatable and row your self out in the middle of the lake every time.
I don't think they will let us out on the water in a raft because its a park with no fishing or swimming. The RC recovery boat is really our only option.

Thanks for the links to some great threads.

John fruge
Old 01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
4Q Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfruge
Anyone using an RC boat as a retriever of dead boats? I want to hear what your using and how it works.

Thanks,

John Fruge
John,
Check the first video in the first post of this thread. This was taken the first day he and I were trying to figure out how to setup an SV27. The rescue boats got quite a workout that day.

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...09&postcount=1

This is what Benmat and I do. We have a couple of different RC "Ready Rescue" boats w/sub-surface drives that we tie a 8 lb. test fishing line to and run it out to the stranded craft and do a 3/4 circle around it and reel it in. EVERY TIME! Right side up, or upside down. The olny time it failed me was when the wind pushed the flipped boat away from me faster than my 19" Coast Gaurd Fire Boat w/working water cannon could reach it and the reel ran out of line.

Right now, we are planning a foam barge to hual out our course bouys and have a system in place that WORKS for anchoring them to the bottem. Now, If I can just get my son to stop using the bouys for jump ramps and carving "shark gills" in them with his prop.

New Orleans Area Fast Electrics
Aeromarine Mean Machine
Supervee 27
Performance International 24" Hydro
Lot's of electric smiles...and an empty wallet
...and a new to me Checkmate resto project!
My Videos
Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Torpedo Testing Maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfruge

Thanks,

John Fruge
I'm using a Kyosho Hurricane catamaran as my rescue boat. Its powered with twin 540 cans and a novak 410 car esc. Powered by 10 GP3300 cells its a awesome power house that gets the job done every single time. By itself its not a great racing boat, but put it to work to capture and return my disabled boat it regins supreme. Using the novak esc it can run anywhere from almost no forward movement to about 25 mph. Its a tug of war to get the boat meshed well with the boat needing recovery but I settled on a Cat design due to the large open front area that can engage and capture your disabled boat. I had tried dragging some net material to "hook" or snag the boat needing help but after playing around and experimenting I found that if I simply can get a section to grab, then take my time, I can recover any hull design. I just need to take it slow. I also take a fishing pole with a tennis ball attached but almost all my recoverys seem to be way out of range of a throwing system. Just my luck!

John
Old 01-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Racer

Ebay has got a nice tug boat complete ready to run for around $65 total (buy now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Remote-Con...QQcmdZViewItem

looks pretty good.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Curmudgeon

I was rescued by a pretty innovative 'rescue boat' yesterday. It is somewhat similar to Boathead's in that it has two long pontoons. But then it is totally different. The pontoons are fixed together at the rear where there is also the 'superstructure'. Which is a simple box that holds the electronics and battery. Attached to that is a swivelling prop-fan and it moves and steers all by the action of the prop fan. It came out to my boat, lined up, and pushed it back in all in a faster time than I have ever seen a boat rescued before. Pretty cool device!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:10 AM

I was thinking of using an E-bay Boat with Some Pool noodle Pontoons attached to the front of the boat
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Sr. Racer

When its beyond retriver ball range we use a Zig ZAg with a 12' piece fishing line attached to the transom . The other end is attached to a small rubber ball. ( a tennis ball works but it really slows down the boat).
Drive the Zig Zag around the boat a couple times and it will hook on rudder , prop , or something. And tow it back to shore.
Any small E boat with a straight shaft will work.

Dick
Old 01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Speed Bump

We use a Traxxas Blast with some bullhorns made out of a metal coat hanger screwed to the deck using some nylon wire fasteners. Works great, even on our larger nitro boats.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Speed Bump

I think I found my new retrieval boat.