The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Fast Electric Forums > The POWER Forums - Motors, Power, Electronics > The Brushless Motor Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Brushless Motor Forum Brushless motors are becoming more and more popular. This is where you can ask and discuss all the latest brushless motor technology!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Racer

Current Lehner 2250 12 Turn "high Amp"

Anyone Know How Much More Current A "high Amp" Lehner 2250 12 Turn Draws Over A Standard 2250 12 Turn? Used In Drifter L , Direct Drive, X440/3 Prop, 8 S Lipo. My Standard 2250 12 Turn Draws 80 To 100 Amps In My Muck Mono ,trans, And X 445 . What Controller Do I Need? I Am Getting Tired Of The Fires.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Zoom Zoom

I think the H-Amp version is just a version that CAN TAKE more beating... it will not necesserilly draw more just because it is named hi-amp.
I regards of the ESC, if you plan on using the same setup I'd recommend a Schulze 40-160 if you have the money or maybe a HV 110 with a pistix for a more moderate budget.

::::::::::::::. SoCal Fast Electric Club .:::::::::::

------------::. It's NEVER fast enough! .::---------
:::::::::::::::::::. Got Props? .::::::::::::::::::::

Old 08-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Sr. Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub Hauled
I think the H-Amp version is just a version that CAN TAKE more beating... it will not necesserilly draw more just because it is named hi-amp.
I regards of the ESC, if you plan on using the same setup I'd recommend a Schulze 40-160 if you have the money or maybe a HV 110 with a pistix for a more moderate budget.

That is my understanding as well.

bbyracing Call Randy for great service & prices!
NEU, Castle, RC Lipos, and more!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Infidel

Quote:
Used In Drifter L , Direct Drive, X440/3 Prop, 8S Lipo....What Controller Do I Need? I Am Getting Tired Of The Fires.
Don, what controller is failing? (Don't tell me it is a Chinese controller! :rolls: )

* For quality on a budget, try the HV110 with pistix as mentioned above. Put a small fan on it like Shane and Eddie did. Spray it with CorrosionX. Low Timing!
* The high-amp Lehners can take more amps due to the way they are wired - internally rather than on the endbell surface. Performance in the same setup will be virtually identical to the normal versions, perhaps slightly more efficient.
* Ditch the 3-bladed prop, they are not what you want to use in this setup - this isn't a gas cat. Try an x442 then an x445. Run the prop high, start with the strut bottom even with the sponson bottoms and move up until you have blowout.
* Remember that acceleration eats up amps, a constant high speed without stopping for turns is much easier on the ESC.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Sr. Racer

Imax for the 2250-12 HA is 200A.
The normal 2250 has a max. of 150A.
See: http://www.lehner-motoren.com/motordaten.php?la=de

A 110HV is a nice ESC, but if you're running 100A I would NOT recommend it. The margin for error is simply too small. Go for a YGE or Schulze.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Sr. Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Turner
* The high-amp Lehners can take more amps due to the way they are wired - internally rather than on the endbell surface.
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but the only difference between the normal motors wired in delta and the high amp versions are the endbells.

While it is possible to switch between Y and delta on the normal motors, the high amp versions are wired in fixed delta and run the windings out of the can (like almost every other manufacturer does). Problem with normal motors are very high currents on the endbell (it would melt), so in this case the endbell wiring limits the current of the motor.

Joerg
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Sr. Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpowered
Imax for the 2250-12 HA is 200A.
The normal 2250 has a max. of 150A.
See: http://www.lehner-motoren.com/motordaten.php?la=de

A 110HV is a nice ESC, but if you're running 100A I would NOT recommend it. The margin for error is simply too small. Go for a YGE or Schulze.
You may be able to get away with a MGM TMM 12032-3
water cooled ESC (they are about $100.00 US more thank the CC110) But still like 1/2 the price of the YGE or Schulze.

Just a thought :thumup:

Old 08-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Sr. Racer

Quote:
You may be able to get away with a MGM TMM 12032-3
Not if he's going to use all of those 200 amps

Perhaps it's better if he says what controllers he already tried. If he fi. blows up 110HVs one after the other then a 120A controller might not cut it either.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Sr. Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpowered
Not if he's going to use all of those 200 amps

Perhaps it's better if he says what controllers he already tried. If he fi. blows up 110HVs one after the other then a 120A controller might not cut it either.
I don't know who is talking 200 amps.. His first post stated

"My Standard 2250 12 Turn Draws 80 To 100 Amps"

That is the info I am going off when posting... And that is the reason I said he may want to look into the MGM...

Old 08-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromJAGs
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but the only difference between the normal motors wired in delta and the high amp versions are the endbells.

While it is possible to switch between Y and delta on the normal motors, the high amp versions are wired in fixed delta and run the windings out of the can (like almost every other manufacturer does). Problem with normal motors are very high currents on the endbell (it would melt), so in this case the endbell wiring limits the current of the motor.

Joerg
The way I read the chart the motor can pull up to 200 amps at 32 volts. I am using 8S LIPO`S. The failed controllers are Hacker 77`s to be safe I guess I need a 200 amp control and a X 442 PROP. ANY CONTROLLER SUGGESTIONS? DON SHUHART
Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Racer

Thanks to all for the info. The standard 2250 12T is a geared drive and is why it pulls less amps. The MOTOREN chart says the HA VERSION DRAWS UP TO 200 AMPS AT 32 VOLTS WHICH I AM USING (8S LIPO) TO BE SAFE I GUESS I NEED A 200AMP CONTROLLER. WHICH IS THE BEST? DON SHUHART
Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Zoom Zoom

YGE 200 is a good candidate, a bit cheaper then the mighty Schulze (40-160) that is used for most high stress applications.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Sr. Skunk

Don, both motors, high amp [HA] or normal can draw way more than 200A. Depending on voltage, the short circuit current would be over 1000A.

What LMT mentions are the basic can limits for the 2250 series. You SHOULD not run them above 150A (normal) or 200A (HA) - I took these numbers from your post. How much the motors really use, depends on your setup: number of turns, voltage, prop size and general boat setup.

So in your case, when you know how much your 2250/12 uses, a 2250/12 HA would not use more amps in the same setup (maybe just a litte bit as the IR is a bit lower). A HA version would just let you use more amps in case you would prop up.

Second, knowing you run an average of 80-100A, you would want to use a controller which can take about the double amp load (because the amp rating comes from continous usage in a plane, which is way less stress than in a boat).

That's basically down to only 2 solutions: YGE200 or a Schulze 40.160, while the Schulze is about 20% stronger. It's 160A rating is without watercooling installed, while the YGE was rated with. Both do have a water cooling preinstalled.

Joerg

Last edited by JfromJAGs; 08-21-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Racer

Thanks Joerg. I Am Going With The Schulze 40.160. For My Information Could I Parallel Two 100 Amp Controllers As Far As The Fet`s Are Concerned And Use Only One Of The Driver Circuits To Drive Both Banks Of Fet`s? Would Have To Keep The Leads Short To Maintain The The Same Resistance In Both Banks. Thinking Of A Water Cooled Plate Between The Banks. Don Shuhart
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Sr. Skunk

Well, basically yes. But you would need to look at the FET drivers too, as most of them are at their limit already. So basically you would need to have a board with a FET drivers on it and then feed the FET drivers with power and signals from one micro controller. You need to know a bit about electronics to try, but basically, yes.

You will not need to do that with a 40.160 and a 2250/12 though. The point of most efficiency is at about 70-90A for that motor. You would not want to run it on much higher amps.

Joerg
Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SHUHART
Anyone Know How Much More Current A "high Amp" Lehner 2250 12 Turn Draws Over A Standard 2250 12 Turn? Used In Drifter L , Direct Drive, X440/3 Prop, 8 S Lipo. My Standard 2250 12 Turn Draws 80 To 100 Amps In My Muck Mono ,trans, And X 445 . What Controller Do I Need? I Am Getting Tired Of The Fires.
FINALLY RAN THE DRIFTER L, LEHNER 2250 12 T STANDARD, SCHULTZ 40/160,X642 PROP, 8S 5000 mah. 55 mph EVERYTHING COOL. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP NEXT PROJECT A MUCK .21 SPORT HYDRO, 2250 12T HA, HYDRA 240, 10 S 5000. NEED A LIFTING PROP. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Q OFFSHORE!!!!!

The Hydra 240's are only Rated for 6S voltage aren't they? I've seen someone use one on 8S but wouldn't 10S be pushing it? Or would it not matter? Now I'm curious......
Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 AM
Zoom Zoom

Yes, the Hydra, Cudas are rated 6S...
I have never heard of anyone using more then 22.2v thru them, I thougth they would not even arm (safety mechanism). I know that there is a bit of a margin there but I didn't think it would go up to 8S voltage... But it is a good point that Mike brought up.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Infidel

Quote:
* The high-amp Lehners can take more amps due to the way they are wired - internally rather than on the endbell surface......
I haven't been to this thread since I last posted. What I meant to say above is that they are wired differently - no surface lines of solder on the endbell, the power wires go directly into the motor, not across the endbell.

Don, the only appropriate Castle would be the HV110 if you want to run 10S...until the rumored high volt marine controller is released. Shane and Eddie have had good luck with that controller, a PiStix, and a small computer fan.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Racer

Thanks To All For Bringing This To My Attention. The Hydra 120 And 240 Are Only Good To 6s Lipo And Without Bec. Are There Any High Current, Low Voltage Nue Motors ? 5# Hydro Including 6s Lipo, Need 40000 Rpm, Want 50 Mph