The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums

Go Back   The Rum Runner Racing Fast Electric R/C Boating Forums > Boat Building & Do-it-yourself forums > Building, Setup, How to Articles, and other boating questions.
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Building, Setup, How to Articles, and other boating questions. This section is where we will archive articles that people write. If you would like to submit an article contact us and we'd be glad to get it posted for you!

Old 12-14-2002, 11:40 PM
Speed Seeker

disappearing wax method for casting?

Anybody ever do disappearing wax casting?, I need to make two scale figureheads in Silver?? I thought I would make one in wax, cast this in an RTV mold (so I can Make the second) and then do this casting, I think I know the theory, but have never done it anyone??? thx eddie
Old 12-15-2002, 06:45 AM
Bondo slinger

Casting Figure

Eddie,
Have you considered using Alumilite? It is easy to work with, cures in a few minutes, and lotsa fun.
Jr. B
Old 12-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Sr. Racer

Do a search for jewelry supply houses. The large suppliers will carry all the materials and equipment needed for investment casting (lost wax method).
Old 12-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Speed Seeker

Re: Casting Figure

Quote:
Originally posted by Jr Branham
Eddie,
Have you considered using Alumilite? It is easy to work with, cures in a few minutes, and lotsa fun.
Jr. B
Jr., I have never used that stuff, I have only limited casting experieince, I have done sand casting in aluminum, but that was years ago,,, can you polish aluminite? (similar to aluminum?)

thanx for the help, cheers eddie
Old 12-15-2002, 10:39 AM
Bondo slinger

Resin

Eddie,
Alumilite is a resin. Not sure why they call it alum, it is more of a plastic consistency. The kits usually come with some rtv mold building material, mold release, kleen klay and the resin in two parts. After you build your molds, you can pour in the resin and it takes about three minutes to cure, the finished part can be sanded, drilled, painted and tapped. It is similar to what the car modelers build high-end model cars. I think there are some resins that can be colored, take a look at micro mark. Can you possibly just paint your project figures-- silver? Then maybe clear coat for gloss effect?
Jr. B
Old 12-15-2002, 12:27 PM
Speed Seeker

JR, you mean no, no, polishing lol, that would be too easy..
My friend was talking about this metal product he uses in his gun making, i think it can be melted at a very low temperture, but you can use a similar mold as the rtv,,, I really would like it in metal,,, I am fussy,,, but I will look into the stuff you mentioned,,, thank you for the help,, cheers eddie
Old 12-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Racer

Eddie,
Micro Mark Offers a casting material that is Crown Pewter (lead free), can be melted with propane torch at 575deg.f. It can be used with rubber molds that they also offer (silicone).
Pt# for metal is 82319 (type R)
Pt# for mold rubber is 82083 (one to one mix)
Pewter or (92% tin) can be polished to high luster, more like silver than alum.

vicman
Old 12-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Prefered Vendor

I have "lost Wax" cast jewelry and sculptures before. A wax positive is made of the desired item complete with "sprew" (? spelling) or casting channels for the molten metal (like on an injection molded plastic model). The item and the sprew are then placed into a vessel a maybe twice the size of the whole thing and filled with liquid plaster of paris and allowed to dry. The "investment" is then placed into a kiln and burned out leaving the hole to pour the liguid into, and another that is a vent for the air and extra metal to escape. The liquid metal is poured int the mold, in jewelry applications it was centrifuged, and then allowed to cool The investment is allowed to cool, placed in water, and the plaster is removed by soaking it and bashing it with a hammer. The Sprew is cut away, filed, then everything is polished